View Single Post

August 5th, 2013, 08:47
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
I'm surprised there's not more of a hue-and-cry about the art style. It almost looks Disney-ified to me…
You should try visiting some of the more grumpy MMO sites - like MMORPG.com

People are bitching endlessly about it.

I was one of those guys who had a serious issue with WoW when it was released for that reason.

Funny thing, though, is that I ended up playing it intensely for 3 years - and I've come to greatly appreciate the technical advantages of going cartoonish.

I'd still prefer a more realistic style - but you can't have it all, I guess.

If I could have my way, MMOs would look like a modded up Skyrim or something like The Witcher 2 - but I don't think we're quite there yet.

As long as the artists are sufficiently talented, a proper cartoon style can work admirably.

Age of Conan is probably my favorite MMO in terms of "art style" - but they had to make some obvious technical concessions - like going overboard with instancing.

WoW is still the best engine for streaming and performance - and it's close enough to being seamless.

GW2 has a wonderful engine - but it's got a lot of loading screens and it doesn't seem capable of handling dense forests or truly detailed environments. That's not good.

Nah, EQN looks fine to me.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential