View Single Post

August 6th, 2013, 12:01
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
I can't know Gaiders or Biowares motivation. Maybe it is "just because" maybe it is marketing, maybe it's an honest motivation - either way it clearly struck a chord with the LGBT crowd (most of which I assume have certainly accepted what they are, I don't think thats the issue), and that sparked a counterreaction, and then some people noted from a higher perspective, that indeed, it's unusual to have gay characters, much less positively written gay romance in games, and why is that so? That's why we see this discussion now. It seems a good thing to me.
Actually, I don't think that many of LGBT crowd have truly accepted what they are - which is very much part of my point.

But that's another story.

As for gay characters in games - I don't see the interesting or good part, myself - unless they're handled with plausibility. But that's how I feel about all human characters.

I like to keep concepts logically consistent and separate. If we're talking about gay people - let's talk about gay people. Let's not add gaming and make games about that - at least not to the extent they're doing.

But that's just me and nothing more.

Anyway my original point (more a reply than a point anyway) was just that I am not convinced that it's really Gaider or Bioware deliberately pushing it - maybe they are, but they also happened to have touched on a topic that some people care about, and that even more have an emotional reaction to (positive or negative). And that caused press, GLBT communities etc. to seek them out on this topic. That games spar discussion with societal relevance happens rarely enough, and so I think these news do have a place on our site as well.
I think I've been through this a few times.

I definitely think Gaider is pushing it deliberately - unless he's a complete moron, which I doubt.

As for having a place on our site - sure, I'm not one to stand in the way of such things. Not that I see much game-related material in that article - but I'm ok with not being anal about relevance.

I do, however, think it's ok to disagree with how Gaider is handling this - and it's no surprise that I'm not a big fan of "ignoring" things I disagree with. I know you think that's how to go about it - and that's ok too

DArtagnan

Waste of potential