View Single Post

August 6th, 2013, 12:14
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Well I guess we are at the point where we have successfully established the differences in our opinions. I'll just addwith regards to this:

that I think games and gaming are an aspect of life and culture like many other media. So yeah, if there is an interest, let's talk about gay characters in gaming, and yeah, they or someone else should make games with that, or even about that.
And sure, it's OK to disagree with how Gaider is handling it. But that's a different discussion yet again.
I think the differences in our opinions - when it comes to this particular topic - is the EXTENT to which we think it's relevant and helpful to involve gay issues in gaming.

Again, I'm one of those people who thinks that if you're going to add a character to a game - and you're going to make a statement through that character - you should create a plausible character, because then the statement will be much more profound and relevant.

That said, I'm fully aware that a lot of people prefer fantasy versions of people - and fairy tale concepts of good and evil, positive and negative.

That's cool - just as long as you're obviously creating a fantasy instead of reality.

My problem with Bioware in this case, is that they SEEM to want to make statements about reality - and yet their dialogue is so far removed from it, that I actually think they're creating a false image and that will only serve to create a greater gap between gays and non-gays.

This is how I feel about most fantasy images of today. Like unhealthy models looking like something from a concentration camp, and Hollywood stars looking like they were perfected in Photoshop.

They're talking about a very real and obviously serious issue - like discrimination - and they're not talking truth.

Bioware has a very implausible take on the human mind, if they think their characters relate to anything in the real world.

That's not how to go about dealing with these issues - if you ask me.

Beyond that, I think the focus in any game should be to make the best game you can - and if you're going to be making politically correct statements - then at least make a game worth playing to sell that message

If you really, really want to make your business into a blueprint factory - then at least do us the favor and stop preaching with nauseating over-the-top-characters whilst being delusional enough to think you're helping real people with real issues.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and obviously you think Gaider IS helping a lot of people with his writing. Again, maybe he's making gay people feel better about themselves - but I don't think that's actually helping them in the long-term.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential