View Single Post

August 6th, 2013, 13:23
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I look at it this way:
- Jackie Robinson in baseball is held up as a huge step in the evolution of racial civil rights - and not jut in sports.
- The picture of Kathrine Switzer running the Boston Marathon with the organizer chasing her trying to yank her out of the race was considered one of the fundamental moments of women in sports, and of the equality of women in general.

These are just sports, yet they were hugely influential moments. Gaming is a massive cultural element, so the ability to have the possibility for the normal range of relationships existing without it being notable is actually a potentially important thing*.

* note that I don't disagree with you about game writing and human behavior in general.
As hugely influential as they may have been - I have no idea what they are.

They sound like real people doing real things, however.

As for this - it isn't about sexual preference making people different, but making the 365/24/7 experience of BEING that person different.
Differences can be about the internal as well as the external - and the internal is not necessarily due to the external.

We all possess varying degrees of empathy which is then impacted by our bias. But empathy is NOT experiential reality - in other words, you can empathize with being black in America, but since you are neither American nor black, you cannot speak authoritatively - or even remotely completely - about what that experience is like for someone.
I can speak about human nature and the nature of ignorance. I don't have to actually experience racism to understand how racism works and how to combat it most efficiently.

You're not black yourself - and yet you feel qualified to tell people that they can't understand what being black is like.

That sounds like emotionally charged bullshit that has no basis in rationality.

You're saying that human beings can't or shouldn't talk about things they haven't experienced themselves - which means there's going to be no way to EVER solve the issue with racism. Because the people in charge of trying to solve it is…. everyone in the world.

We ALL have a say in this - and our opinions can be very, very valuable without having been exposed to racism ourselves.

You have a limited ability, based on the fact that while we can empathize broadly we can only BE ourselves. And honestly, saying 'you are tired of hearing' about something is as much a reminder of the limitations of empathy and the inability to experience someone else's reality as anything else.
You seem to be demonstrating a clear lack of empathy for me as well.

I'm not sure if your point is that being discriminating against me is better than me being discriminating against gays in your delusional position, but I don't agree.

I'm talking about being sick of hearing from Gaider, because I think he's going about his mission in life in a very inefficient way that's not about reality.

As for empathy - it doesn't work like you seem to think it works.

You can't evaluate the power of empathy in any given person by how he or she responds to something YOU, personally, empathise with.

You have to go much deeper than that to speak about my empathy.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential