View Single Post

August 6th, 2013, 14:37
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
They sound like real people doing real things, however.
And that is a key issue that I tried to note, because while video games are key to youth society, they are not 'real' in the same way. The social impact is yet unproven.

Differences can be about the internal as well as the external - and the internal is not necessarily due to the external.
Absolutely true - there is some really cool neuro-psych research I was reading about recently looking at how internal and external factors and the juxtaposition of the two play into our overall brain development.

I can speak about human nature and the nature of ignorance. I don't have to actually experience racism to understand how racism works and how to combat it most efficiently.
Exactly - my point wasn't about what we can intellectualize and argue

You're not black yourself - and yet you feel qualified to tell people that they can't understand what being black is like.
That is a simple reality. You CANNOT *fully* understand the black American experience. That is (can't resist) an 'objective reality'. You can empathize, form mental behavioral models, interview millions of black Americans to formulate stochastic approximations. But they are all inherently limited.

But - to bring it into the context of the thread … ALL of them would be more complete and realistic than we are likely to see in a video game any time soon.

You're saying that human beings can't or shouldn't talk about things they haven't experienced themselves.
Absolutely NOT - that is the OPPOSITE of what I am saying. I am the 'person of privilege here in the US - white, male, straight, Christian. Yet I speak strongly as an advocate for many in other groups. Yet I understand that for all of my advocacy and empathy there exists a fundamental limit.

As for Gaider - I get what you mean, and apologize for misunderstanding.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch