View Single Post

August 19th, 2013, 03:57
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It's called Early Access because that is what Steam calls it. Though your right your paying to play a beta, and you get the game when it's finished.

There trying to raise money and get more beta testers. As soon as Steam implemented this feature I knew developers would use it.

I see nothing wrong with this as it's just like the stretch goals on kickstarters. You can buy it now to get beta access, or buy the game when it's finished.
What I think is wrong with all this is that this is a AAA publisher using this feature. Ubi could very easily afford professional QA and a fully polished release version without any need to pre-release the game in exchange for cash in its beta stage.
This kind of abuse is undermining the core concepts of Kickstarter and could potentially lead to damaging the entire principle of crowdfunding.
People might be way more hesitant or -worst case- outright reluctant to spend money up front if they get burnt a few times and the MMX flame seems to be burning fairly hot as far as I can tell.

/paranoidmode But this is probably exactly what Ubi are aiming for here. The many successful PC Kickstarter projects have been diverting huge amounts of monetary resources away from the consoles. I guess it was only a matter of time until the big publishers began cracking down on Kickstarter and PC gaming. If you can't beat them, join them… and then get on the inside like a Trojan horse and destroy them from the inside. That seems to be their strategy here. I'm betting when MMX has its darkest hour on the PC, Ubi will announce a next-gen AAA MMXI for the Xbox One and PS4 to force even the last remnants to switch camp \paranoidmode

OK, maybe that was a little too paranoid…

Moriendor

Spielkind