View Single Post

August 19th, 2013, 11:19
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
@Moriendor: What does MMX have to do with KS?
I believe that the mechanism is aimed at KS and other indie projects. The early access mechanism is giving indie developers with low budgets a chance to recoup some of their investment earlier than usual by offering people to pre-purchase the game (preferably at a discount since people are getting a beta and helping test the game).
But why in the world would UbiSoft as a AAA publisher need to resort to this stuff? They can afford professional QA and I'm sure that they can cough up the full budget easily several times over since -speaking in terms of budget- one Assassin's Creed 4 would probably equal about ten MMX's.
I think that this is very fishy and shady… you know, it smells but you can't really identify what it is that smells so badly quite yet .

Anyway I don't get why this should be considered problematic. Some people like to play betas, for various reasons, nobody is forced into this. For developers it means additional feedback from real players, and early exposure to the real hardware jungle, which I don't think any QA department can fully simulate.
I agree completely if they would offer this early access/public beta as a FREE demo (it's only 20% of the game anyway) to help them make the game better. But as a pre-purchase? No. It smells too much like "let's grab some cash while we can" to me.

Moriendor

Spielkind