View Single Post

August 21st, 2013, 12:07
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Stories have just been worse and worse so has gameplay. These days it is all about graphics.
Yes. And about combbat.
And about loot.

Both replaced Story.

Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Isn't that the writer who hates games and have never played one?
I rather assume that she hated the fighting parts of them - like a good friend of mine who hates the jump & run parts in games (she doesn't play shooters, by the way). She once told me that she let her son doing the jump & run parts.

Me, I'm playing games for the story, not for the combat.
And now please say to me that I hate games.

(And that's why I don't like games where the combat is overwhelmingly dominant.)

Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I just find it difficult to swallow that a writer for videogame wouldn't like the medium he or she is writing for.
That you are limiting her - implicitely - to only

- RPGs
- Shooters

shows me that you have already begun ignoring that there once had been a much greater diversity of games on the Pc platform :

- Adventures
- Jump & Run.

Somehow, EVERYONE saying/writing something in the sense of your "wouldn't like the medium he or she is writing for" just DOES NOT mean adventure games or jump & run games.

EVERYONE is meaning "RPGs" and "Shooters" when they write "PC games" or "this medium" nowadays.

To me, that's a good sign of

a) the degeneration of the Pc platform
b) how much biased gamers (and especially those DA lovers fighting her) have vbecome. They don't even consider jump & run games as "proper games" !
They just leave them out. jump & run just doesn't exist anymore. Plus, it is considered "immature", "childish" and so on - and that's something DA lovers would most likely NOT want to be seen as. "I am mature, so I want a mature game, not some childish, mindless jump & run game."
That adventure games can be mature as well is simply ignored. That Beyond Good & Evil told the story of the freedom and the power of press - it's ignored. Because they - I'm sure of that - didn't want to play that game because it looked far too "childish" for them.
A serious story told in an colourful setting - that must not be ! They'd argue. If Beyond Good & Evil had been dark & gritty, it would have sold. But not this "colourful shit" …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR