View Single Post

August 31st, 2013, 07:52
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
I'm not trying to pee in anyone's Corn Flakes, but I'm growing weary of these sorts of heroes and milieu. There's such a sameness to it all. Can anyone recommend a game, if it even exists, where it's Just A Guy who goes off adventuring and the Fate of The World doesn't rest on his shoulders? I'm so tired of the ancient, faceless evils rising from some abyss and a Chosen One must somehow, against all odds, Save The World!
Here's a few that come to mind:

The Witcher / Witcher 2: While Geralt definitely tends to have an impact on the world, for the most part he is just doing his job (slaying monsters) or helping out various friends / royalty. Both games are full of moral ambiguity and the final boss fight in The Witcher 2 is entirely optional.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: You can save a few people, but like pretty much anything in the cyberpunk genre, it's not really about saving the world…

Drakensang: River of Time: A really good RPG. Kind of a light-hearted adventure.

Fallout 1 or 2; although Fallout (especially the second game) plays around with the chosen one saving the world trope, the post-apocalyptic world is largely beyond saving. Besides those games are awesome (so much better than 3) and you should definitely play them if by some chance you never have.

daveyd

Sentinel