View Single Post

September 5th, 2013, 18:04
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
DAII combat was like DAO for the control part (auto-attacks, hotkeys, tactics, pausing, switching characters, etc). It just didn't have the overhead tactical view.
Yeah aside from the speed, which I didn't like, I couldn't see much difference between the combat mechanics of the two games. They were still RTWP, essentially. The main problem with DA2 was the encounter design, which didn't have much in the way of variety or lend itself to RTWP particularly well. Enemies always spawned on your head, and character placing was just a bit pointless. In the end, the only time I swapped characters was when I wanted someone to use a healing potion - apart from that, the characters pretty much got on with killing stuff and it didn't really matter whether I bothered taking control of them or not. DA:O was a bit like this sometimes, but there were still plenty of fights where I had to give a bit more thought to character placing and tactics etc.

I think they could blend the two and end up with a decent system, as long as they learn the right lessons from DA2 (I'm not convinced they have though, yet).

Pongo

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor