The "I Just Bought" thread
View Single Post
September 6th, 2013, 22:32
The laptop of my oldest daughter had a breakdown. So, as the good father I am, I let her have mine, wich in addition to actually working, was a bit more resourceful than the one she had. She's very pleased.
Unfortunately this left me without a laptop ….
This is what i bought:
ASUS G750JH 17.3" Full HD
GeForce GTX 780M,Core i7-4700HQ,32GB RAM,256GB SSD,750GB HDD,Blu-Ray,Windows 8
1. It's extremely fast, much faster than my floortop pc.
2. It's got some serious cooling, fortunately the hot air emerging from it will only affect those sitting in front of me.
3. I didn't think an SSD disk would affect starting Windows that much.
4. It supports NVidia 3D vision (I really look good wearing those glasses)
5. It weighs less that 4.3 kg.
6. It's got windows 8. Which works well, but I still think the new UI is UGLY!! It directly stimulates my area postrema, the part of my brain (and yours) that controls sickness and vomiting. Fortunately I already have an Object Desktop (Stardock) subscription, so the good old Start menu is back.
7. There is enough space for handling the mouse between the keyboard and the front end of the machine.
8. Like it's predecessor it's got a horror and music theme, and is called "Igor". The machine that WAS Igor and is now controlled by my oldest, is now sailing under the name "Mnemosyne".
pibbur who now belongs to the Republic of Gamers. And who has to watch his daughter carefully, so her current laptop remains alive and kicking for at least a year.
Last edited by pibbur who; September 6th, 2013 at
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
View Public Profile
Send a private message to pibbur who
Find More Posts by pibbur who