View Single Post

September 12th, 2013, 22:30
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Am now reading "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis. Another time travel yarn this time to Victorian England.
Decent book, but I didn't find it as funny as advertised. I was on a kick trying to find humorous fantasy back then, so perhaps I was just wanting something out of the book that wasn't it's true purpose.

Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
I read the first 5 books once and was fairly glued to the pages IIRC, but never really cared to read the remaining 5. How do they compare?
I'd say the first 5 were "more literary". For example, the extensive descriptions of moving thru shadow bored me to tears, but I expect folks that want more than entertainment from their reading would probably find that suitably high-brow. I could certainly appreciate the skill, even if it was wasted on me. The second 5 books seemed a little more traditional fantasy adventure, although there was a little more emphasis on navel gazing over the whole order versus chaos theme. While it's kinda stupid to expect realism from a fantasy series, I did notice more "cop-out magical plot solutions" in the second portion.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Division Champs! / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer