View Single Post

September 13th, 2013, 12:55
Wizardy 8 has the best tactical combats I have seen in a first person party-based RPG. Much more complex than M&M series. But as mentioned above, wizfast is a must. Without that little savior program crowded battles can easily take 1 hour. Also it features many races, clases and skills, so allows for very different character builds and playstyle. Although I loathe monster respawning, the respawning system that is used in W8 never bothers me. I think it’s due to this tactical options. Leveling system is a combination of classic experience points plus skill improvments with use (like Elder Scroll games). Plus with free-roaming and a decent, epic story make this game an all time classic (at least for me). I recommend GOG version to those who want to play this semi-forgotten gem instead of Steam. At least it’s DRM free.

Although I appreciate re-releasing the game for popular gaming platforms, seeing Night Dive Studios’ logo on the trailer seems a bit blasphemy to me. Like beating the dead body. I hope their attempt won’t stay with re-releasing W8 and they would develop a Wizardy 9 in the future. I don’t know who holds the license to what extend for future Wizardy games (I think some Japanese company); but if I were them I would acquire the license, gather experienced RPG developers, make an agreement with D.W.Bradley (although I’m sure not many agree with me about that) from W6,W7 and W&W fame, also start a decent Kickstarter project for that. That would be awesome.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch