View Single Post

September 14th, 2013, 03:03
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
For all of TES's shallowness and imbecilic dialogue, I for one am thankful that Bethesda exists to offer us AAA budget titles with sandbox gameplay. I grow so tired of the linearity of RPGs and can only hope that other studios (beyond the people behind Two Worlds) try to compete with them.

In such a manner, we could one day get open world exploration/discovery/character progression + a game engine not chock full of decade-old bugs as Gamebryo/Creation is + dialogue and choices worthy of mention.
There are other open world games other than Two Worlds or Gothic. There's Dragon's Dogma which came out last year and does combat, customization and even story better than TES. I'd say Dark Souls is open world too but I think that fits the term "multi-open world" more so than fully open world but it's still non linear and the areas are more worth exploring as they're all unique and feature different rewards and enemies. There's the Divinity series too (especially the first one which is completely open and features an amazing story with excellent PC dialogue and role playing).

There's the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series too. Arcanum. Baldur's Gate series and of course the original Fallout games.

This is excluding the upcoming open world games such as Divinity: Original Sin, Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age; Inquisition, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Sui Generis and The Witcher 3 (although some are multi-open world, at least four of them are fully open world). Not to mention, we can expect a Dragon's Dogma 2 in the future as it's going to be a series (although who knows if it will come to PC?).

I once yearned for open world games years back but eventually they get boring as they're normally too big with no substance. Games like Arx Fatalis and Dark Souls (which are non-linear but not open world in the sense that you literally can fly around the map) I find to be more rewarding in terms of exploration as areas have more personality, life and you're rewarded for exploring.

Grangokhan

Watchdog