View Single Post

September 16th, 2013, 14:45
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
At the same time however we move further away of reusing the same engine.
If you think back to Eye of the Beholder 1,2 and 3 for example , or Ishar 1,2 and 3. In the past you re-used the whole engine, just made some tiny adjustments and put in tons of new content and released the game again for the full price.
This almost does not exist anymore today. Instead we have DLCs.
I'm not sure I'd agree with thatů If you take a company like EA - they've publicly declared that they'll be using the Frostbyte engine for everything they do now - including Dragon Age and Battlefield.

Most developers use licensed engines that they're familiar with - like the Unreal Engine.

Sure, they make a lot of changes for each sequel - but it's still the same core.

In fact, I'd argue that we're seeing more re-use today than we ever did - at least in terms of the engines. As for the assets, that's another matter.

In my opinion, publishers are much better at saving money on such things - because they have so much experience with it.

These days, for the big titles, the trick seems to be to buy the talent - establish a strong franchise using that talent - and then milk it into oblivion, until the team loses its edge and will to innovate. That's what capitalism is doing for the AAA segment.

The money is invested into marketing and production values - and they're essentially buying the audience.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential