View Single Post

September 17th, 2013, 09:03
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I can't claim to understand the depths and complexities of what these low prices do to the longterm market - but I do have a feeling we're overlooking the impact of DLC and the trending "games as a service" concept.
Yeah. DLC is a massive part of the "new" business model, mainly because it's an area where publishers can change the way their product is sold without the consumer really noticing.

e.g., in ~2005, only commercially successful games were treated to an expansion pack, either in box or download form (i.e., new content was developed after the game launched). By ~2010, some gamers were decrying content which would previously have been in the main game being stripped out for DLC. On the new consoles, I think it's possible that we'll see a steady stream of AAA games which are commercially successful solely because of the DLC - the main "game" being essentially little more than a demo. (And I mean this in a different way than the current F2P approach where you kind of buy "cheats" or remove "nags". I could imagine the next Rock Band being free, but with a very limited track list and loads of DLC tracks from launch.)

C'est la vie. It's not the way I'd choose to buy games, but I can see why publishers are going this way. And as a gamer, it lets you pay for of much of a game as you want to play (at least in principle).

mogwins

Sentinel