View Single Post

September 23rd, 2013, 14:42
I use Robocopy and hard drives. I used to use Xcopy back in the XP days. I never used tape drives as hard drive space is just cheap and easy.

I use 2 USB 3TB external drives that get updated whenever I remember to bring one in and I have a dedicated computer (doesn't need to be fancy at all, all its doing is backing stuff up) that has 8 TB of storage. I use the RED WD drives nowadays. I use Robocopy.exe and have numerous bat files made (like 50) and scheduled in the task scheduler. It works very well and has saved alot of potential lost files and such thru the years. Pretty much all hands off once its set up also.

Databases that see alot of data in and out I back up 5 times a day, 7 days a week so we always have 35 versions of the data. Other stuff I back up every evening so have 7 versions of it. The only potential drawback is if something is messed up and goes past a week without being detected (I should have it on the USB drives tho). A messed up file or database has never gone past a week tho without being detected so we have been good.
Last edited by Toff; September 23rd, 2013 at 14:53.

Toff

Sentinel