View Single Post

October 4th, 2013, 10:10
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Hey Dart, you enjoyed Risen 2 quite a bit, didn't you?

How do you think Risen 2 stacks up to the Gothic series? I'm playing the first Gothic game now and it's really enjoyable. I'm hoping Risen 2 captures some of that same magic.

I also enjoyed the first Risen game, so I will probably enjoy the 2nd, I suppose.
Yep, I think it was a great game overall.

I think it stacks up quite well, once you remove the impact of nostalgia.

I mean, Gothic and Gothic 2 (with NotR) were both masterpieces - and no, Risen 2 isn't quite at the same level.

But if you mod it with the popular fan patches - it's as close as you'll get to Gothic 2. You can check out worldofrisen.de (I think) - and there's a great mod tool that lets you download and apply all the popular mods. Some are for balancing and some are for the awkward visual quirks.

In terms of visuals and atmosphere - I happen to think Risen 2 is better than Gothic 2. I love pirate settings and the rain forest environments of the islands. The problem is one of repetition, because once you get to the 3rd or 4th island - you're kinda full when it comes to the tropical setting. Well, I think most would feel that way.

It's not like Gothic 1 and 2 had more variety - they were just seamless on larger landscapes, which means you're not really expecting "new" stuff as much as when you travel from one place to another. So, ultimately, I think they shot themselves in the foot by separating the landmass in that way, without adding sufficiently unique environments to each island.

But both Risen games suffer from balance issues and somewhat unfinished mechanics. It's like they didn't have time to finetune the skills and implement good enough uses for them in the game.

If I had to rate the games according to time of release and their impact on me, I'd rate them as follows:

Gothic 9/10
Gothic 2 8/10
Gothic 3 (modded) 7/10
Risen 7/10
Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10

Something like that, I'd say.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential