View Single Post

October 9th, 2013, 10:37
I can definitely see where you are coming from. I'll freely admit that a couple of times, the tedium of retracing my steps for the nth time through a specific area made me just alt tab and back-up/reuse my save . I've done it a precious few times though (to avoid hurting immersion) and the more I progress the less it seems necessary at all. You usually just have to explore a bit more to discover bonfires you missed or ways to overcome obstacles without dying etc. The game has a steep learning curve, though worth it imo.

If you ever decide to give it a try you may find that the visual improvements brought by the DSfix mod (SMAA, downsampling from a pretty high internal rendering resolution, AF, DOF you can adjust to your taste etc) make the PC version worth some consideration. I was able to tune the controls with the DSmfix mod to something I can definitely work with. Its far from perfect (the distance based lock goes haywire with fast mobile enemies or enemies in different z axis level and you have to disable as often as you enable it etc.) but not a problem either.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I don't really care for the attribute-driven character system either. I know it's very intricate and all stats matter - it just doesn't provide enough sensation of reward. Those tiny steps towards performing better aren't very exciting to me.
Not a huge Fan either and they seem to be changing it a bit for #2 to a more classic approach. In #1 it seems the actual tangible difference in your char's performance comes from gear crafting, the upgrade paths you take for your weapons and the way that gear scales with certain attributes. Even a +1 or +2 upgrade to weapons and armor makes a more definite impression than several levels earned. Makes you think pretty hard on where to spend those souls

Its an entertaining system especially for someone like me that enjoys crafting in games but I agree and I am eager to see a bit more substance to leveling up too.

JonNik

SasqWatch