View Single Post

October 12th, 2013, 14:11
Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
What's a crowd funded project?

The problem of kickstarters and "affiliates" like Indiegogo is there's no way to get a good feeling on what will be the game. And, for me, it ends in a sort of blind systematic vote,
Not sure what you mean by affiliates or why you have it in quotations. Are you trying to indicate sarcasm because you realize that their relationship is almost the opposite of being affiliates as they are competitors?

Crowdfunding does rely a great deal on being able to trust and have faith in the people you are giving your money to. This does cause a degree of uncertainty for prospective backers, which appropriate since this sort of system only works in the long term if its participants understand its speculative nature. I think the greater problem is the seemingly large number of people who are diving in head first without a sense of the uncertainty and seem to be treating it like amazon pre-orders. Some of that has to be the crowd that pre-ordered Sim City and would still pre-order its sequel if Maxis promised vaguely it would be "better." That it functions as a way to vote with your money - that's kind of the idea and pretty much part of how markets work.

Originally Posted by Ihaterpg View Post
few selected genres+mac release+seems not a planned crap. It's frankly stupid and won't help creativity or quality, but I don't see how do it differently.
There seems to be quite a wide variety of genres represented in the crowd funding scene. Granted though that they're not all there at the same time.

Not a planned crap? Is this some metaphor about irritable bowel syndrome and having to take a lot of unplanned craps? I suppose you could call it "stretch-goal diarrhea." I infer you don't like it that the wildly successful ones keep accepting money well after they've run out of reasonable stretch goals? Well I wouldn't want them to do otherwise in terms of accepting pledges, but I do think project creators need to be more disciplined in their approach to stretch goals in response to unexpected success. A few have had significant issues related to biting off more than they could chew. At the same time, Larian seems to be adapting quite well to taking on more than they intended and the game seems to be coming along quite nicely. That might be the exception to the rule though and I do think project creators could benefit from taking some stretch-goal Imodium.

As for there not being enough Mac games for your tastes, well I think that has more to do with a 7.55% useage share than anything particular to crowd funding. It also seems like a strange complaint since the mac support of Kickstarter games appears to be far better than the general market with 9 out of the top 10 currently running campaigns under video games at Kickstarter include OSX support. Additionally 8 out of 10 of the top grossing video game crowd funding projects of all time also support OSX. The one that doesn't was originally planned not planned for PCs at all and only just recently added planned support for Windows PCs at all. Looking at Steam, I see that only 6 out of the top 30 current best sellers have Mac compatibility.
Last edited by jhwisner; October 12th, 2013 at 14:36.

jhwisner

SasqWatch