View Single Post

October 18th, 2013, 22:13
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
You simply can't accuse someone of that if the targeted personen worked more than 4 terms in womens studies at college.
That is the 'I can't be racist … I have black friends' defense. Um, sorry, no. It stands.

I used the word in the follwing meaning: "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside."
Again, nonsense defense - and likely revisionist history for getting called on it. It is like calling stuff 'gay' and then when called on it, say 'gay definition #4 from the last century means 'happy' … that is what I meant'. Again, no. If you REALLY had a clue about women and any sort of sensitivity, you would appreciate the PRIMARY CONTEXT of the word with such an obvious meaning.

As far as my point is concerned: My copy of "The Colonel's Bequest" contains a coloured magnifier that is used to secure evidence for the case in the manual. Will your GoG do this for you?

And if the quality of art is not a complex, interdependent process with a lot of elements, why do they exhibit the Mona Lisa at the Louvre anyway? You can see a scan on the internet any second. Make a hardcopy or look at a reprint.
As far as my point is concerned: My copy of "The Colonel's Bequest" contains a coloured magnifier that is used to secure evidence for the case in the manual. Will your GoG do this for you?
OK - let us assume that this situation you cite applies to 0.01% of games. I am being generous here. So what you are saying is that an entire industry is an abomination because they have failed to cater to the 6 or 7 games made in the past 35 years that have something like this? How many games have a required physical component? Perhaps in that case they should leave the game out of print?

And if the quality of art is not a complex, interdependent process with a lot of elements, why do they exhibit the Mona Lisa at the Louvre anyway? You can see a scan on the internet any second. Make a hardcopy or look at a reprint.
Because something like a painting or sculpture is a 3D visual medium not fully able to be replicated by a flat 2D format. Looking at Jackson Pollack is not just about the image, but also the technique, the experience of feeling immersed at what and how the creation was made.

Whereas watching The Godfather on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or streaming digital is THE SAME MOVIE. Every second, every image, every voice, every scene. Identical.

Do you really argue that these things are the same, if taken from their original (or at least traditional) context?
So unless you listen to every piece of music before 1952 on a 78RPM player you are guilty of "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation"? And if you own a CD of anything recorded before the early 80s you are guilty of similar offenses?

So, if this is the case, why was the box of "Dark Seed" created by H. R. Giger? Isn't a piece of art an entity of its own? The box not only reflects the ongoings and the atmosphere of the game, it IS part of the game.
Absolutely completely NO. It is a 'trinket'. Does it have a material impact on the game in ANY way? No. Is a single line of code, texture or graphics asset, music sample or control scheme impacted by the presence or absence? If the answer is NO, then it is ABSOLUTELY NOT part of the game. Period.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch