View Single Post

October 22nd, 2013, 21:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
WHY would she be such a bitch? Take note of her subtle remarks. I assume they're copying the part - so there should be plenty for you to pick up on.

Either it's the worst writing of the century - or there's a REASON she behaves like that and still has a job.
Actually, I don't think they're copying that critical part. The explanation for why she still has a job is that the sheriff feels responsible for her following his failure to solve her sister's death. That wasn't plainly stated, but enough hints were thrown out that it was clearly intended. That might even serve to explain her nutjobbery, basically saying the trauma of losing her sister caused her to snap, but that's not the direction they took it and it's not appropriate to Aspergers anyway.
If you still aren't willing to understand her based on what I've told you - then it's most likely too late.
I'm on board even though she irritates me, but I don't know that the viewing public will follow.

In the Danish version - she gives a ton of subtle hints, like "I'm not normal" "I'm no good as a girlfriend" - "Why is that joke funny?" - and so on.

She cries at one time when her boss is meant to retire, but it's only a tear - and then she's back to herself again.
We haven't gotten "a ton" of those. Very few, actually, and they've always been in scenes where the comment could easily be seen as situational rather than introspective. We got the "girlfriend" one, but it played as brusquely blowing off a potential suitor rather than insight into her condition. We got the "joke" one, too, early on, but all it established is that she's socially inept. 90% of the characters on the show are damaged/inept in some fashion, so that comment offers no insight to her issue, just confirmation that she's screwed up in some fashion like every other character and none of them have Aspergers.

The character is basically completely incapable of normal social function - but she's chosen to withstand all the ridicule and social isolation, and she's chosen to sacrifice almost everything just to be as good at her job as she can be.

She's possibly the least selfish person in the entire show - and that's the beauty of her character. She never does ANYTHING to hurt anyone - and she does everything to help. Everything she does is based on what she thinks will be the best thing to do.

The other characters go around cheating on their wives and kill people.

But people don't see it - they just think she's a bitch.

You think that's a character worthy of hate?

I can't remember any character for which I've had greater sympathy in a TV show.
Worthy of hate? No. Needlessly veiled causing constant annoyance? Yes. Our version generates none of that sympathy. She's damaged goods. That's no different than any other character on the show. With the reporter, we're beat over the head with the root of his damage. With Marco, the root of his damage (well the initial one prior to his son) is obvious and self-inflicted. With the reporter's friend, we're plainly handed the source of her damage. On it goes, but with this one character, who happens to be the main one, we're given nothing. No explanation. No cause. No good hints. Nothing.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer