View Single Post

October 23rd, 2013, 18:06
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Perhaps, but several other significant characters are extreme as well. Are we to assume they've all got disorders? You've got the tortured lesbian getting slapped by her mother. You've got the addict reporter that treats everyone like total garbage. You've got the philandering cop that knocks one off with a recently widowed suspect even though his marriage is failing. You've got the human trafficker who clearly has issues of some sort. And those are the good guys!
I don't think those are examples of extremes, though. Unfortunately, that's quite common for human beings.

Obviously, I don't know how they've portrayed those characters in the US version - but they didn't strike me as "extreme" in terms of oddness or weird behavior.

More people are unfaithful than not - and being arrogant and conceited is extremely common. I don't even remember the lesbian?

But we're supposed to say, "Oh, this extreme character is intended to be completely different from all those other extreme characters, and it's intuitively obvious that it's Aspergers because everyone knows the symptoms of that condition like the back of their hand." That's stretching "subtle" quite a ways.
No, I don't think you're supposed to do anything.

I know it's a really hard concept to grasp for a US viewer - but it's not necessarily the intent of the writer(s) to explain or teach - just to show something.

Remember, this isn't a US show originally - and it wasn't made just for money. We're a bit different in Scandinavia when it comes to entertainment.

What you take from it is up to you.

At least, that was my impression of the Saga Norén character as they specifically DIDN'T mention Asperger and didn't go all preachy (which I hate) - and I loved how I almost stopped watching because she was so ridiculous. It took me a while to realise why she behaved that way - and I had a complete turn-around.

My take is that they DO NOT expect everyone to understand at all. They want people to have a strong reaction and go on a journey with this character.

But they give enough clues along the way to make someone inclined to care something to go on.

Then again, I don't have a problem not being shown everything. Had I not bothered to invest myself - I wouldn't have gotten anything out of it - and I like that.

Just like I like my gaming. I don't like games that force feed clues and point to everything. I like to be challenged and I like to think for myself.

Just as long as there IS an explanation or something to discover. I don't care for artsy fartsy random musings and bullshit ala David Lynch. But that's another story.

Broen was a fantastic show - even if the master plan of the villain was kinda implausible.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential