View Single Post

November 2nd, 2013, 02:20
Originally Posted by SkeleTony View Post
Well…again, this is not a contention against formations or full sized parties for that matter. This is a contention with CRPG's AI and such. Does not really have anything to do with the discussion we are having. W8's AI was going to be what it was with or without formations (in fact the formations feature probably helped with AI development).
Yes the topic is formations. Take the formations out of Wiz8 in favor of a style à la Might & Magic or even old JRPG's, and you wouldn't have lost much. What you would have lost is the silly way of moving about in Wiz8's monster infested areas. Formations are a nice idea but then again not (due to the few characters you control). What I'd at least like to see, if there are formations, is a more dynamic way of using them. Say, changing your formation several times over the course of one combat. In the CRPG's I've played this was never necessary. In the IE games you know what kind of positions the enemy occupies (either through metagame knowledge or scouting) and you can take up an effective formation and stick with it for pretty much the entire combat. In Wiz8 my formation often only changed like once per region if at all (it had more to do with finding a formation that goes well with your party setup).

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror