View Single Post

November 3rd, 2013, 01:54
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
@enm
The issue is about harm and loss.
If someone impersonates you, say by using your creditcard to buy something, you lose money. This isn't a speculative loss; it can be clearly measured.

You say "copy" the work, but with what intention? If you mean to simply read it, fine. This is how libraries work. How video rentals work. But if you want to claim it's your own work, this is another matter entirely.

Do you get it now?
So in your world, if George R. R. Martin's computer is hacked and his "Winds of Winter" novel is leaked on the Internet before publication, then those who download it are merely doing the equivalent of going to the library or renting a video? No, the key difference is that libraries and video rental stores don't violate the creators' property rights. And of course he would lose money if that happened; thinking otherwise would be fanciful and naive.

Pirates who become victims of piracy themselves often change their tune, such as this one.

Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
edit: Sorry for being rude, but I was fairly certain you were trolling.
I'd be offended, but given the fact that the majority of my posts at RPGWatch are trollish ones, it's a forgivable mistake.
Last edited by enm; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:20.

enm

Banned