View Single Post

November 6th, 2013, 16:00
I often miss choices in which one can be bad and good at the same time - let's keep that found treasure, but pay the one who's lost it an equal amount of gold, that he won't be angry that I stole it (if he finds out).

What's also always NEVER is there, is the possibility to balance out "bad choices" the player did at an later point in the future. No game I know of has this implemented.

Plus, there are often too many "loose ends" as well. If I find out that this person did some cheap, bad trick on someone else - then I'd like to tell the rest of the village about it, apart from having the choice to negotiate between evil-doer & victim.

Or, I found a money purse. Choice is : a) keep it, b) let it lie there.
Unfortunately, no choice c) is given : Tell the village people about it, so that they can find out among themselves who might have lost it.

And I never get feedback by "third person" NPCs, either.

Edit :

Obviously, no sane AAA studio is going to start a revolution with an $85 million game — that's too much money to be risky.
All too true - and that's why everything just degenerates over time.
Innovation = risk = money = things the firms keep away from.

Daggerfall was released in 1996. It had spell-creation, enchantment, and a political system. It had a great story. Does the narrative and open-world gameplay of today's sandbox Action/RPGs really represent a 15 year evolution?
Blizzard, anyone ?

And I like this comment very much, because it represents what I think as well :

Why I hate about choice is not knowing what is going to be the most fun or most enjoyable or most well done.
Yes, that's an great obstacle in my "gaming experiencE" as well.
But the developers know the outcomes (they're within "knowledge space"), therefore there has to be testers (those whop are outside of "knowledge space") …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR