View Single Post

November 7th, 2013, 00:42
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I bet if Chris Avellone formed his own studio and pitched a new kickstarter pledges would pour in. It's about talent not just how well known your studio is.
You do realize that this statement is pretty.. naive? Or did I not get it?

A good name in many cases beats anything else. All those game we hope for right now (Wasteland 2, Torment, etc.) have shown nothing except ideas and concepts when starting.
This works only because people have trust in the developers, because they have proven themselves already. If someone is unknown or well.. "little known" as I think Guido is, this is not enough.

One of the first things you learn as a developer is that everyone has good ideas (from time to time). How many ideas for gameplay improvements or game concepts did you have in recent years? Many, I'm sure. We all have those.
The problem is not coming up with ideas, it is making them real. And people know that. This is why many KS, etc. campaigns fail. Because they show only ideas and no proof of capability to realize them.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept and think that the devs know what they are doing here. I want this campaign to be successful, but I would not be shocked it does not succeed.

Chris Avellone is not living from a reputation built up in years gone by. He's been very active and communicating all the time. What bells does the name Guido Henkel ring for anyone outside fans of the old RoA games, which were always nothing but a niche, and probably a bit more known in Germany? I don't even know what he did in recent years, except that failed last Kickstarter attempt. As I'm following RPGs rather closely, I do not think whatever he did had anything to do with desktop RPGs.

TheSHEEEP

SasqWatch