View Single Post

November 9th, 2013, 13:46
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Yeah, I think I got enough impressions for that.
I expect something along the lines of Lands of Lore or Stonekeep. Both very linear.
Has he said it's going to be linear?

But it has turnbased combat instead.
What will the combat be like? What tactical options (if at all) will you have? Will there be formations? How is ranged combat initiated/ will it be possible at all? How much focus will be on combat vs. other gameplay? Will there be cheap options like lots of potion chugging or will you need to be more careful?

The graphics already look pretty cool.
Granted, he did give an impression of the graphics. He didn't even cop out like Richard Garriott by saying it's only placeholders.

And from my perspective the big thing of the game is the interaction between the party members, a little like in Jagged Alliance or Dragon Age Origins, but instead of using fixed scripts it will be dynamic dependent on the attributes.
We know there will be interactions, but it remains very unclear how that will go down and what consequences there will be. In the pitch Guido says that a companion might just up and leave. Ok, but how can I deal with that? Can I make up another character on the fly? Can I recruit another NPC? Is there any way I can tell that a party member is close to his/ her breaking point? What can I do about that? Furthermore, why don't these personalities extend into combat (Guido said that in combat everyone is under your full control)?

But yeah, I think what he showed in the video is quite good. The WAY he showed it could have used some improvement. You know, showing more enthusiasm, explaining how awesome he is, what invaluable experiences he has, and gaining nostalgic bonusses by showing clips from highlights of the old games he did.
I really don't feel my questions answered, but YMMV. We're RPG nerds and willing to give Guido credit for his past work though. That might not be true for a lot of other people.

edit: Actually, for me, the most memorable thing Guido has said (not in the pitch though!) is that the game is first and foremost about fun. Ok, but what's fun in Guido's mind? My personal guess is this means no realistic world simulation, IOW no food mechanics and teleportation everywhere.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror