View Single Post

November 9th, 2013, 15:07
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
That's in detail questions I don't expect to be answered in the original pitch. Maybe in an update focussing on combat. For now its:
With a variety of large outdoor and indoor environments, the game will offer a rich game setting with party-based gameplay and turn-based combat that allows for tactically infused battles.
This depends entirely on how important combat is to the gameplay IMO. Torment: Tides of Numenera didn't need to give any specifics on combat because they made it clear that combat isn't the focus of the game. I suspect that this will be different for Deathfire though - however, I don't know for certain, and that's a problem. I don't want to get a puzzle heavy game when I pledged for combat and vice versa.

Because that is really, really annoying.
Dead State also wanted to do that in the beginning, they changed this during development though because it's just too annoying for the player (besides of some little things like you find in Jagged Alliance)
That exposes the real problem though. If personalities and indidivual behavior is annoying, then it's also annoying out of combat. Or would you say it's not annoying if your tank leaves the party just before you're getting swarmed by 30 goblins? It's also a bad idea in a pitch to say "oh, to be consistent we'd have to implement this feature, but we have no idea how to do it lol".

I think the problem is that even RPG nerds hardly know who Guido is and what he did. And without highlighting that and without spreading real "excitement" in the video it's hard to go viral.
You can't excite people if they don't know WTF your game is about. Don't get me wrong: Project Eternity and Tides of Numenera also had weak pitches. But they both referenced other games (Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment) to give people an idea of what they're going for. Guido OTOH says "I'm not here to talk about my past games". Which is ok, but then you might want to give an example of a newer game that is somehow comparable to what you're doing this time.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror