View Single Post

December 17th, 2013, 12:29
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I'll never be able to understand why someone could come up with a title like "Castlevania". It looks like a Chimera to me.

"Transsylvania" ? Yes
"Castle" ? Yes
Both combined ? Urgh

It sounds a bit to me as if I'd call a game "Nippondojo".
It's called "Devil's Castle" in Japan in reference to Dracula. It's also a play on metroidvania (where Metroid inspired the later titles) only the series has typically been set in or around the castle so it makes sense.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Looks like a typical console button-masher to me, but I figured some of you might be interested to know that the Steam version is official and the page is now up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234080/
It's really not. The game has a very deep combat system and enemies do have weakness and attack patterns you can memorize to fight better against them just like in the old CV games although this only truly becomes essential on the higher difficulties and when you fight the Forgotten One in the DLC (who is a harder boss than any Dark Souls boss on NORMAL DIFFICULTY and one where you absolutely must memorize every attack pattern to win). The game truly shines on its highest difficulty and it felt like it was from the golden era of PS1-PS2 action-adventure games thanks to its fixed camera and emphasis on combat/puzzles/exploration.

It's Castlevania but felt more like Legacy of Kain for me rather than God of bloody War. Since I'm a big fan of the LoK series I was especially pleased with Lords of Shadow which stands out on its own and is a very worthy entry in the CV franchise and tells a far more constructive story than the original time-line and one where I feel that Dracula has much more depth. The artstyle and music are truly masterpieces too.

Grangokhan

Watchdog