View Single Post

January 2nd, 2014, 18:42
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
After having thought about this for awhile, I call bullshit. There's no way they spent 200 mil unless they did a major u-turn somewhere during production.

You look at BioEA's budget for Star Wars TOR, which was huge by any media standards, and you realize they had something like a million lines of dialogue. I seriously doubt there's going to be that kind of voice acting going on here. Granted, that's just a small piece of the puzzle, but it's an expensive piece.

The math done above— $100k/per dev is way too high, even when benefits are included. I'd have to think most are making half that, at best, outside of management. $40-50k is more like it, and that's for actual skill people. The worker bees (office staff, etc) are probably on an hourly wage giving them maybe $20-30k. And interns are often free.

Naw, the numbers don't add up. Even when marketing is considered.
I think your numbers (40/50) are too low as well. I think 70k - 80k is reasonable.

Anyway it was estimated that Skyrim (a single player game) cost them about $85 to $100 million in development and marketing budget so $200 mill for an MMO seem "cheap".

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim…-v-statistics/

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch