View Single Post

January 8th, 2014, 22:54
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
The train to work was exactly what I was going for. Actually, it was playing with your thumb while waiting for the bus specifically.

I made some progress using that link above. I got it to work surprisingly but since it also implements the old way not recommended as a hybrid I've seen very little improvement in memory.

What I have seen is very ugly images. I'm sure I can get the memory down by removing the old system but I'm concerned about the cost to the picture quality.

The images on the dungeon screen take up the most memory - about 41mb. Getting into combat puts it to 43mb right away but can send it over the top. The limit seems to be 70+mb on the S3.

There might be some improvement if the old images on the dungeon screen are still in cache when they get overwritten. If they are, maybe I can clear the cache and keep the external heap from growing as well.

As it is I'm only looking at the possibility of reducing the default picture quality for the dungeon and if its bad, well, that's not acceptable.
Excellent thinking on that part, as the game is great for these type of shorter trips, but also for longer sessions when at home.

A shame that the trade-of between the game working and image quality is so severe, hopefully there is some good middle ground, although having a fluent game matters much more to me than graphic quality but I can understand the pain of downplaying something where much work was involved, but being able to traverse quickly and having lower quality images at first for a possible image upgrade in the future, would be better than crashes/sluggish performance at first for a possible quickening up and more stability in the futre. But I also understand if you would want to find the balance straight away, rather than fiddle with half-solutions, but if the balance was very time consuming a playable "uglier" version would be nice.

Either way, I look forward to checking up on it when it's done, take all the time needed, as the game seems very promising. I spent hundreds of hours on Decklen's Mordor and have been amazed that none really have been able to capture a similar level of finesse and detail in its simplicity.

Stavut

Traveler