Thread: Today is …
View Single Post

January 20th, 2014, 03:26
… pibbur's second day in San Antonio and pibbur has made an observation: (BTW, Observation is one of the Act classes in HL7, classCode="OBS", in case you didn't want to know that): Americans aren't built like normal people (those living in the northern part of Europe). This is based on indirect evidence, the relation between height of chairs, and heights of tables. No matter how much pibbur tries to elevate the chairs he's using, the table surface stays no more than 10 cm (I refuse to translate those bautiful SI units) below his shoulders. Which result in very awkward movements when it comes to writing, typing, eating, come to think of it anything which can sensibly be done at a table. Since it's like this here and there and everywhere over there, it can only mean they're built to handle it. Pibbur will pay close attention to american anatomy in the upcoming days.

Other things of little interest

1840 – Captain Charles Wilkes circumnavigates Antarctica, claiming (somewhat unsuccessfully?) what became known as Wilkes Land for the United States. The observant reader will remember that yesterday's post mentioned people going to the south pole, in stead of just - like said Wilkes - orbiting it from a safe distance. In other words, nothing to write home about in pibburs NSHO.

1915 – Georges Claude patents the neon discharge tube for use in advertising. One small step for a man, one somewhat smaller step for mankind.

1915 – Not a whole lotta love as German zeppelins went on a bombing raid in the UK.

1953 – 71.7% of all television sets in the United States are tuned into I Love Lucy to watch Lucy give birth. I choose to say no more, know what I mean? Do you? If you don't, I suggest you watch the movie "Rat Race".

1977 – Hell freezes over as snow falls in Miami, Florida. According to Wikipedia the only time in recorded history of the city that snow has fallen

1983 – The Apple Lisa, the first commercial personal computer from Apple Inc. to have a graphical user interface and a computer mouse, is announced and in 1986: The first IBM PC computer virus. Some, who we don't listen to, may say there is a lesson to be learned here.

2006 – The New Horizons probe is launched by NASA on the first mission to Pluto. After merely 9 years of flight, expected time of arrival is july 2015, around the time Torment and Fallout 4 (and Grimoire?) can be expected. Coincidence?

pibbur who from the very flat horizons of the US misses his mountains. And who is a bit pizzled that nothing bad happened to roman and a few other selected emperors on this very day.

PS. Pibbur didn't find any googles for cricket. DS.

d++a59e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nRnS ++++wC-o++++wSuLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13