View Single Post

January 29th, 2014, 10:59
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Try looking at post #82.
Indeed I missed this one.

For me, a discussion is not pointless because people don't automatically agree. It's useful to learn about the human mind and how we work above all. The topic at hand is almost trivial in comparison, though I'm glad if some people can learn something about it.
Exactly. I'd go so far to say that a discussion makes sense only if there are different opinions.
But when you argue about if some entity has a certain attribute, all parties should have the same idea of this attribute. If not, the argument itself is pointless.

They're clearly 3D - as they're Isometric. You can move left, right, up, down, back and forth. It simulates a third dimension. All the buildings and dungeons are generated using pre-rendered 3D images as well.
Wow… ok… I would have never called Infinity games 3D. But if that's the common perception, I defineteley learned something here.

I'm not trying to insult you, but at this point you really seem quite dense. I mean, I'm not that smart - and I really think we're talking ultra basic stuff.
Hehe, no offence taken. I know how dense or not I am quite well.

ANYTHING that happens on a computer screen is 2D - because the screen itself is 2D. It's physically impossible to have a third dimension. You do understand that, I hope.
For whatever reason, you just assume we're not using words correctly. I'm not having a semantic issue - and I'm using the words I think are quite appropriate.
Well, one thing I've learnt (not only in science lectures) is that if there's some "problem" (like an exercise, a discussion etc.) you have to make sure that everyone involved exactly understands the occuring concept, no matter if its in mathematical, linguistical, economical or social or whatever context.
That's why I'm asking questions that seem dull or might have very simple answers.

Otherwise, you would never be able to have a debate with people - as even the most common words can be misunderstood. Are you seriously suggesting we evaluate all words just because people might not agree upon them?
Well, theoretically you would need to do this, yes. But as you said, thats practically impossible. I think you realy need to to this for the concepts/words, that are most "important" to a discussion. Yeah, of course, how to you decide for theses words. Not trivial, but I think in this actual discussion, the concept of "3D" is a term that needed to be defined.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor