View Single Post

March 17th, 2014, 04:18
Just today, I watched a film called the name of the rose (1986)

The Name of the Rose is a 1986 film directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud, based on the book of the same name by Umberto Eco. I haven't myself read the book, so I can't say how faithfully it stays to source material, but after watching this film I'm definitely going to read the book as well.

Anyhow the films begins as the Franciscan friar William of Baskerville and his apprentice Adso of Melk are about to arrive in a remote benedictine abbey in Northern Italy. Strange deaths have occured there and these men have been called upon to investigate the matter and solve this deadly mystery. The film is set in the early 14:th century europe when cloisters were still the center of learning and education in europe. The contrast between cloister life and the life outside cloisters is captured quite nicely.

I was really surprised how intriguing this film's story was. I can only imagine how good the book must be. Moreover what I really wish to hightlight is how authentic the film felt.

I'm not sure about the final verdict yet as I haven't had much time to reflect what I saw, but likely 8/10

Dez

Keeper of the Watch