Thread: A Thought
View Single Post

March 20th, 2014, 12:03
Yes, the devs don't seem to play Republic / Light side much at all. I fear that this might be "their game", and they are playing on the side they had put most energy into, because they wanted to play this side, but not the other, rather. Sounds paranoid, though.

A brand-new bug report regarding faction inbalance, even although all classes are mirror classes : http://www.swtor.com/community/showt…47#edit7296547

In a different matter, I have found something called the "Golem effect" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmalion_effect

A corollary of the Pygmalion effect is the golem effect, in which low expectations lead to a decrease in performance.[1] The Pygmalion effect and the golem effect are forms of self-fulfilling prophecy. People will take the belief they have of themselves (negative in this case) and attribute traits of the belief with themselves and their work. This will lead them to perform closer to these expectations that they set for themselves. Within sociology, the effect is often cited with regard to education and social class.
I noticed this, because in the PvP forum of SWTOR people are always raging and complaining about "bads".

"Bads" has become the common term of PvP players to describe a bad player. And, should I ntake those complaints seriously, 99 % of all PvP players are merely "bads".

There has already arisen a saying : "Bads remain bads and will always be".

Now, if we take this

A corollary of the Pygmalion effect is the golem effect, in which low expectations lead to a decrease in performance.
it could be that bad players might indeed perform the worse, the more other playersbelieve that they are not able to improve.

In the end, this is like racism : Applying a wrong, biased statement which is not true, but often stated regardless by racists like "all blacks are dumb" might lead - according to the "Golem effect" in people with a non-"white" skin to perform rather bad.

Rosenthal posited that biased expectancies could essentially affect reality and create self-fulfilling prophecies as a result.
Quotations

James Rhem, executive editor for the online National Teaching and Learning Forum, commented:

"When teachers expect students to do well and show intellectual growth, they do; when teachers do not have such expectations, performance and growth are not so encouraged and may in fact be discouraged in a variety of ways." "How we believe the world is and what we honestly think it can become have powerful effects on how things will turn out."
On an unconscious level, this "Golem effect" can be used as some kind of "psychological warfare". Let's take a country with 2 groups, for example. One of both gets the riches, meanwhile the other one remains rather poor.

The richer group could now use the "Golem effect" as a way to keep the other group from getting into their ranks and participate from the riches. I think that racism in the U.S. worked a bit like this; "12 years a slave" shows exactly this, in a way : An highly intelligent man is held captive as a slave becauise people considered him to be not being capable of being an highly intelligent citizen. Prejudice made people turn pretty normal citizens into slaves - because the slavers fell prey to the Golem effect, I think. And this bad-mouthing of ethnic and non-ethnic groups happens all of the time. Like for example that German Deutsche Bank boss saying that craftsmen bills were only "peanuts". Or that private data is less "worthy" to be saved than dirms' data.

In the end, everything is there to work out hierarchies. People atr a higher level in an hierarchgy are trying to keep people from lover levels to reach higher levels.
That's how corruption works as well : Through giving the good things to same-levelled people, firms etc. , outsiders are kept away.

And then I find this thing this morning : http://www.technologyreview.com/view…n-hierarchies/

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR