View Single Post

July 19th, 2014, 11:03
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The player doesn't have to care about "divine rule" - he just needs to be able to put himself in the situation Geralt finds himself in. In that world, it's a big deal to have a relationship with a king - and you don't really want to be accused of killing them.

Also, believe it or not - kings are human beings, and when you watch them slaughtered in front of their children, you kinda respond if you have some empathy.

Well, I'm not saying you necessarily have empathy - but most people do.

If you can't spend an hour to invest yourself in another world and the characters inhabiting it, that's fine. But don't expect a game to perform miracles and give you a reason to care until it's done setting things up.

Again, it's not your average RPG or Hollywood story - and you sometimes have to decide for yourself what to think and feel about what's going on. It's a bit like in real life - where you don't know everyone around, and you have to sort of develop a relationship with events before you can form a useful opinion about them.

I know that's unusual in games - as you typically get a sign pointing to the bad guy within 5 minutes, but it can pay off to invest yourself all the same.

If you don't think so, there's always Bioware games.
CDPR is apparently trying to "perform miracles", because they were criticizing their own approach in the article above. Too fast, too much assumed, too much about a big war the player might not care about.

It worked for you though. I saw a pompous guy ordering a bunch of people slaughtered in this war I was by default participating in, with my character immediately snarky to Triss about how petty the conflict was. So he gets killed, and that is what the game is about. Children or not, he wasn't much to care about.

It makes me optimistic about the W3 that CDPR found fault with many of the same things I did in the Witcher 2. That must trouble you about the upcoming game, because you defend these things vigorously.

Burress

Sentinel