View Single Post

December 3rd, 2006, 15:30
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
in DS I think the party based combat in real-time works rather well.
One might argue that perhaps it works TOO well since you don't really have to do anything other than feed them potions once in a while.

Overall I agree with Maylander. The more people/creatures you have to manage at once the more time consuming it becomes, so you either need pauses/turns to give out orders or you have to rely on the AI making the right decisions for you. Considering my own experiences with spell casters firing off an huge AOE spell when only one opponent with very low health remains or the nicknaming of the NWN2 Qara to "Qara Bin Laden" due to her tendency to throw a fireball at her own feet thus wiping out everyone, be it friend or foe, indiscriminately (when playing on hardcore), I would say that the AI still leaves something to be desired.

I like both types, RT and TB, but they both have their place and neither can take over for the other without changing the gameplay on a fundamental level (e.g. turning chess into soccer).

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic