View Single Post

December 4th, 2006, 11:16
Turnbased or realtime is irrelevant, the important thing is that fighting is fluid and doesnt disrupt the flow of the game. Most RPGs from Goldbox to Gothic succeed at this, but there are some where I am unhappy with the combat.

One that springs to mind is Realms of Arkania 1: Blade of destiny. Combat is identical to RoA2 and 3, except for one tiny detail that makes it a lot worse. in RoA 1 you can only use ranged weapons and spells along rows and columns on the grid on which you are fighting, making it very easy to block your party members from using these ranged goodies. Extremely frustrating as enemies will close in on you quickly if you've equipped a bow, and you tend to fight large groups of enemies. Luckily the game isnt THAT combat heavy and dungeons dont respawn their enemies…

Good point about Realtime for party-based games. My experiences in the area (NWN 1 and Arcanum in real-time mode) is that AI design has to be taken to new levels for this to work. I think pausable realtime where you can set pause-triggers (the infinity engines do this very well, as do the Paradox line of strategy games) is preferrable here. Allowing the player to assign scripts to other party members could also be a solution.

Zaleukos

Bum