View Single Post

December 7th, 2006, 14:53
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
Actually, a while back there was a study that found that game reviews have little influence over sales, here:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op…=3837&Itemid=2

I'm not sure how true that is, but it's interesting and relevant nonetheless.
Crap … browser crashed and I lost my post … short version: half my job is statistician, so this stuff makes me cringe …

The 'study' attempts to draw inferences by looking at raw correlations - but that is all just data without context. Most games get average scores (by definition) and do average sales. The interesting thing is when something gets great reviews but lousy sales (NOLF, PS:T) or lousy reviews and great sales (sports games, licensed stuff) - but most interesting of all is when something has been very high on the 'buzz' meter, gets a couple of lousy early reviews and tanks in terms of sales. Is it a causal relationship? Unclear - and that 'study' does *nothing* to address that most interesting of details.

Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
And you're not being honest suggesting G3 is in the same realms as Dungeon Lords. As much as there are fanboys, there are anti-fanboys who have their own agenda. Same thing in the end.
That has become the common troll thread - compare it to Dungeon Lords. This game was buggy as heck in the EU release, and still problematic now - but there are few things in game history to compare to Dungeon Lords … and while there is considerable depth behind the issues with G3, Dungeon Lords is like 'the Emperor has no clothes' (yes I know my review was relatively positive, and I did have fun, but it is also my 2nd most disappointing game ever).

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch