View Single Post

December 16th, 2006, 15:50
Originally Posted by curious View Post
rpg is a dying word that will only spawn endless debate until games stop using it as a crutch to draw people in.
large budget games of any merit will only succeed by telling a good story through the inovations of whatever the current technology allows.
I don't believe this.

You could write the same towards books and novels : Let me try this example :
"Mystery Story is a dying word that will only spawn endless debate until games stop using it as a crutch to draw people in."

You could say, that books will only succeed by telling a good story through the innovations of whatever the current technology [read : "telling technology", as I put it - meaning the technology used to tell a story via a novel/book] allows.

So, in the last consequence, you write that genres are obsolete.

I, on the contrary, believe in genres. There are several of them, even in the gaming sector : Adventures, RPGs, Jump & Run games … Similar to those in literature : Mystery stories, thrillers, histirical novels, satire …

I believe that there are several genres ot there, wghich are defined by their own definition. Like RPGs, for example.

What's going on now is a mixture of genres. Maybe something completely new will emergy one day (the mixture of RTS/RPG in Spellforce hints about this), or sub-genres will emerge (like the Action-RPG by Blizzard).

But I still believe there are certain genres, no matter what developers might try to mix. Of course, there will be mixtures, but still there are Giraffes and Okapis that don't mix, do they ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR