View Single Post

January 3rd, 2007, 16:49
Excellent article, as usual. Thanks for the precis of games to come—it's hard to follow all the individual studios and easy to miss a less-publicized game.

I can't talk about Oblivion or Gothic3 since I could find no incentive to purchase them. I got NWN2 for Christmas but it's still in the box. I ask myself why I am playing a game from 1998(Wiz8) instead, but I think anyone who's played it can probably supply the answer.

In the TQ newsbit thread I ranted a bit about this, and I know it's been 'cussed and discussed' ad nauesem, but I still think the issue is relevant and unresolved:

Why is it so difficult for modern studios with all their resources to make a great crpg??

I don't think I'm the only one who finds many of todays rpgs flat and showy, with little to suck you into their big shiny worlds.

It's said that it costs too much money and time to make a proper crpg. To me that's like saying it costs too much money to operate a five star restaurant—the chef's salary, the sous-chef's, the salad boy, the somelier, my god forget it—everyone just go to MacDonald's!

I say there is always a market for a quality product. Not everyone wants just fries and a milkshake.

Just my old grumpy two cents.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team