View Single Post

January 8th, 2007, 04:41
Originally Posted by Hedek View Post
I want to believe low profit games can be interesting for big publishers. Even if it would take 10 of them to be as profitable as 1 big successful game, but I don't see why my math wouldn't be correct if they also cost 10 times less. I mean every dollar of profit is a profit, does it really matter whether these dollars come 1 by 1 or 10 by 10 when at the end of the year you've made overall comfortable benefits.
The risk per game is also much smaller as the investment is smaller.
[…]
I like the idea of comparing cRPGs to "films d'auteur", while other game genres are similar to those impressive holywoodian movies with amazing special effects. And while major movie companies still produce "cheap" movies, in the games industry cRPGs are becoming indie-only games, I'm just having a hard time understanding that.
I see what you mean - that hopefully EA would use a tiny part of their huge profit to fund some modest "hardcore" RPGs. I don't have a good answer for that. I suppose that at the end of the day, the management are going to look at the profit from those small projects and think they would be better off re-allocating the resources (even stuff like marketing and distribution) to something more profitable. The proof seems to be in the reality of the situation, doesn't it? EA could fund a small Fallout-like game without blinking (and possibly turn a small profit)…but they don't

On the films films d'auteur thing, I think that's easier to understand. A small film production can still look almost indistinguishable from a big-budget title (special effects aside). If they choose the right genre and setting, the special effects are a non-issue. So, a Full Monty (insert better example - can't think of anything at the moment) can still potentially make a lot of money. And create a lot of critical buzz…I don't know…House of Sand and Fog, for example.

A game made with a small budget is obvious. It simply takes man-hours to produce high-grade, cutting-edge graphics and the comparison with any AAA game is immediately obvious. A big chunk of the market won't touch it with a 50-foot pole because of the graphics. And it produces little mainstream buzz…maybe Desslock writes a few lines about Jeff Vogel in PC Gamer but by and large - noone cares.

But , yes. It would be nice if EA decided to do something for the artistic merit.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team