View Single Post

January 16th, 2007, 14:06
The qoute from Mike Hoge, and the other qoutes from the cited interview, just proves my point about not catering to your core, market or niche audience or market.

To me, somehow anyway, it is Obvious that the Gothic team somehow tried to compete ? (if that's even the correct for it) with Oblivion's way of doing things
in the hope that it would sell (even) more copies in the US (than the gothic series did previously). Thus, they made the Gothic 3 game, similar (sort of) to Oblivion in
many ways; freeform gameplay, vast open-ended-world, the player can do anything he likes at any given time and such things which are also present in Oblivion - to some extent.

By doing that, the Gothic team forgot that their product (or rather their game or brand) catered to a unique market (or community). And by developing the game for the more casual gamer, they ran the risk of alienating the hardcore Gothic 3 fanbase. (which basically would have bought the game anyway, since PB has a strong brand and a strong backlist). By alienating the hardcore Gothic 3 gamers,
they run the risk that the more casual gamers will not like G3 as well, simply beacuse the casual gamers drawn into G3 will be drawn into G3 because of the first
two games succes, thus expecting G3 to be more like G1+G2 than maybe it really is.
(does this even makes any sense ??)

What I mean is this: By developing a game for the casual gamer, pb needed to realize than it probably loose some of its fanbase, without attracting enough of the casual gamers to make up for the lost fanbase. These casual gamers would probably have bought G3 - on the merits of g1+g2, and thusly would then be disappointed when they discovered or found out that g3 wasn't as good as g1+g2.
(since their hardcore rpg fans probably told them about how unique these games, g1+g2 were, then of course, the casual gamers buying g3 expected the same unique experience, but this experience just wasn't there….).

All in all this makes the point I've always stress in these situations even more clearer:

Make the best (…) game you can. Make a game you would like to play yourself. And don't try secondguessing what the market wants. The market (and focus groups) is very shifty, and people don't really know what they want. They just think they do.

The old saying: you can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself

is still valid, both when you're making computer games,
and when you're dealing with life in general.

I do also think that the many mant things wrong with this game, i.e. bugs & all, do stem from Jowood's pressure to release the game way to early.
If the devs. at PB had been 6-12 months more to make the game, well then…
(while I certainly can understand the decision to release the game shortly before Christmas to get the boost in sales from that release date, I don't really think it applies anymore. People nowadays tend to buy computergames all the year, not just at Christmas or special seasons in the year).
Last edited by aries100; January 16th, 2007 at 14:11. Reason: content added

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor