View Single Post

January 24th, 2007, 18:08
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
There's people that would go out and buy a Blizzard game without ever even reading a review of it.

Starcraft II comes out, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be running out and buying it on release day. Me and about a zillllion and a half other people.
You're right - and that tells me a lot about people. Most people are very easily satisfied, a bit too easily for my taste. Apart from that people seem to have an inclination nowadays to like companies instead of products. A vivid proof of that are the thousands of fanboys that jump in to defend Blizzard as soon as you post something critical on the WoW-boards.
Blizzard, I think, is very good at knowing when the time for a certain type of game had come. Had Blizzard released WoW at the time Everquest was released (I know that this is not really possible) it would not have been as successful as nowadays. A lot has to do with the fact that the telecommunication structure in most European countries was totally different at the time. Payment methods were a major obstacle - I remember that some of my friends got a credit card just for the purpose of playing EQ (living in Germany) - nowadays almost everyone has a credit card.

And honestly if I look at WoW, and especially the new expansion, I'm wondering more and more if not the hype alone has become a major part that contributes to WoW's success. If you look at the reviews that come out these days, then it seems that most reviewers have lost every bit of objectivity when it comes to Blizzard-related products. After over 2 years of WoW, Blizzard comes up with an expansion that offers absolutely nothing new at all - still you have to read something like

Burning Crusade, the first expansion to World of Warcraft, almost feels like an entirely new game.
in a recent review by Gamedaily.

I'm not quite sure what the reviewer did the last 2 years, but I played WoW and to me it feels pretty much like old wine in new skins. People are blinded by the hype - "oh, it's the new WoW expansion - I HAVE to buy it". But who am I fooling? I bought it myself, even though I knew (by playing the beta) that it would offer only new, but no innovative content.

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain