View Single Post

January 24th, 2007, 21:29
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
well, what more do you want? lol

In a way, I know what you mean. But what do you want, really. "player laundry"?
Innovation. Or at least choice. Maybe possibilities. I'm not talking about the next new tiny feature that some mmo company will implement and call their game a "next generation" mmo. I'm not talking about guild housing, mounts, ingame mail or crap of that sort - these are features that are interesting for like 5 minutes… then you'll just take them as granted.
But what for example happened to player customization and dynamic content? Old concepts, you might say, since these terms are around for quite some time now. But let's face it in nowadays mmos these features are extremly underdeveloped - not that they were ever fully developed in former mmos, but at least they tried. Take Asheron's Call for example. That game had maybe 5000 players, still they managed to arrange a monthly event (meant that something happened and changed inside the game world) - heck they even managed to change the season inside the game. Now, AC was not a brilliant game, but at least they tried to offer something new. It was only shadow of what would be possible if companies were willing to try.
If not dynamic content, then why not try to be at least a bit original and creative. Why do they stick to the same 3 or 4 quest patterns that we all know so well already. Kill x of that, or bring me x of that just does not cut it for me anymore. Now, I have to admit that there are a few very rare gems to be found in TBC, but they are really the exception and you won't need more than 5 fingers to sum them up. And no, I'm not talking about that stupid bomb mission in Hellfire Peninsula (recently praised in another review) - honestly, when I have to do missions like these I'm beginning to wonder if Blizzard is actually mocking their players (or rather their intellect). You cannot fail that mission, nor is there any danger involved in that mission. And if you're not lacking both hands then you won't need more than 2 tries to succeed.
I think it's a shame what's happening here since Blizzard is giving away a lot of WoW's potential.
Ok, now - let's just assume that all the stuff I just mentioned is just to complicated to implement into any game at the moment. Could you tell me, why a company like Blizzard was not even able to pull a couple of new classes out of their asses? Or did not at least come up with the hero classes which they promised would come…like 2 years ago?

Do you honestly believe that the mmorpg genre as it exists now is what is possible? I think not. No doubt, there will always be a basic concept that won't change, but there could be a whole lot of finetuning.

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain