View Single Post

January 24th, 2007, 21:32
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Then a few weeks ago I read that no party NPC's could die, a la NWN2 they could only be knocked out. I HATE HATE HATE those kinds of arbitrary restrictions.
Why? I mean, if the game is made for a party of 4 then it will be next to impossible to complete if your party members die along the way and then you're left with no choice but to reload.

I remember back when I first played Monkey Island and realized that unlike the Sierra adventure games of the time where you spent more time reloading after you'd died than actually playing the game, here was a game where you couldn't die. You could concentrate on playing the game instead of saving for each step to avoid redoing too much when you had to reload.

If it is about immersion I would suggest that constant reloads are worse "immersion breakers" than knocked out party members that wake up after the battle but perhaps that's just me.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic