View Single Post

January 25th, 2007, 17:03
This is great, two threads (the other being the "what are you listening to" one) that I've taken a couple of notes from on things to check out.
I'm currently reading those J.V. Jones "Book of Words" novels, 1/2 way through "A Man Betrayed". I have to say I'm not that enthralled by them, they feel a bit formulaic to me, but there's the occasional bit or character that keeps my interest enough to keep going, which is more than I can say for the majority of the modern giant fantasy epics. I remember back when I was into "The Belgariad" and then at some point I just gave up on it; it kind of gives me that feeling. However, I'm trying to catch up on the popular fantasy series of the past few years so I'll give it a chance. I read "The Ill-Made Mute" just before this and I liked that a bit more. Sadly I haven't found the next book in that series yet; I need to go to the library. Then there's this "Tawny Man" book that's next on the list to read.
I also have a copy of "Dashiell Hammett - Five Complete Novels" here on my desk at work, I'm re-reading "The Maltese Falcon" during my breaks. Great stuff.
I have a hankering to re-read Tanith Lee's "Tales of the Flat Earth" books, those are some fine reading.

Black Hood

Watcher