View Single Post

January 25th, 2007, 20:19
Blizzard has certainly earned a reputation worthy of customers buying their products based on their name alone. They haven't even come close to laying an egg yet. And their quality control is relatviely good. And they support their products well beyond the point a vast majority of publishers do. I have no problem with a company reaping the rewards of solid business practices. More power to them.

I'm a bit flummoxed, I must say, at the "Blizzard has never really innovated at all" theme of this thread. Say what?! I'd suggest that WoW is the first game they've developed that arguably merits that judgement. With Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft, they've been, while not at the bleeding edge, certainly in the pack of leading edge developers in the respective genres. That's not to say they've gone out and done wild and crazy things with their designs, but they always found a great (if not perfect?) balance between meaningful and desirable innovation and solid, accesible game-play. WoW is the first time they've taken the more common big-business success strategy of sitting back and letting the pioneers blaze most of the trail and flame out, and then followed behind them picking up the best pieces of the wreckage, adding a few twists and improvements of their own and hitting the mass-market sweet spot.

chamr

Mounted Highborn