View Single Post

January 27th, 2007, 17:40
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Go read the BluesNews thread, there are some comments there from people in Beta - NDA or otherwise.
Or I could just go to the room next to mine and have another look at it.

Maybe because they've hired one of those market research firms who figured out that the average MMOer (and even players of "strong" products such as WoW) is subscribed to a game for only 3 or 4 months and that players usually drop out waaaay before the time where the lifetime membership offer would start to cost Turbine money instead of making them money?
This offer could entirely be based on market research and economics.
It could also just be an experiment to see how well the market accepts such a preorder "flatrate" offer.
It doesn't have to be "uh-oh our game sucks so let's milk them suckers while we can". It could… but it doesn't have to be.
Well, you are right of course. There could be alot of reasons why they are offering such a lifetime membership. I was just giving my own personal opinion here… based on what I have seen so far. I'm sure other people will have another opinion.
In any case, I can say that my feelings towards this kind of membership are deeply ambiguous. It certainly has its advantages, but the customer also loses a very important method to put preassure on the provider of a particular service - his ability to cancel his account on a monthly basis (or at least after a certain period). And let's face it… you don't have many other possibilities to do that. And a lifetime membership isn't of much use if I'm not content with the service offered…

Now, call me overly pessimistic, but that's how I'm seeing it. But hey, I'm always ready and willing to change my opinion. If Turbine should be extremly successful with LOTRO and will keep up the offer of a lifetime membership even after the launch of the game… well, then I'm the first one to admit that I was wrong. But to be honest, I think, we will see only one of these to things going to happen.

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain